A universal fact for all commercial buildings is at some point the HVAC system will need to be replaced. A typical equipment lifespan might be 12 to 15 years. At Air Management Solutions (AMS), we realize that a costly replacement isn’t always feasible. We endeavor to assist our Puget Sound, clients in maximizing their HVAC systems’ lifespans through retrofitting. AMS specializes in improving older and existing HVAC systems. We expertly replace or add equipment to refine your system’s operating and energy efficiency, increasing your overall profitability.
When to Retrofit
To avoid unexpected replacements and their accompanying unplanned costs, our knowledgeable team recommends acting proactively and retrofitting, especially when a replacement isn’t part of your business plan. Here are some signs that your building’s system is a possible retrofit candidate:
- Your energy costs keep increasing. Retrofitting equipment with a higher energy efficiency will dramatically cut your rising costs. High-efficiency equipment also adds an extra benefit of many times being eligible for energy rebates from your utility companies, as well as government agencies.
- Equipment repairs seem unending. No matter how well maintained you’ve kept your system, older equipment will need repairs. If this scenario is familiar with your building’s equipment, investing in retrofitting will put a halt to the repairs, and you can start reaping the benefits of newer equipment.
- Your equipment is nearing the end of its lifespan. If your system’s equipment is closer to the 12- to 15-year mark, again, acting proactively and retrofitting will put you in control financially. Retrofitting with a plan allows you to invest on your terms and time.
- Multiple pieces of equipment need replacing. If you’re in a position where more than one piece of equipment needs replacing, you can actually save overall. Financing is typically more advantageous for multiple units, and spreading the cost of needed installation equipment and tools over several units decreases on these costs per unit in this process.
- Your cooling unit uses R-22. This refrigerant is being phased out by 2020, so no more R-22 will be produced for servicing and maintaining cooling systems. Think about retrofitting now to update to a system that will use more environmentally friendly refrigerants like R-410A.
Advantages of Retrofitting
Some advantages to consider in helping you make the decision to retrofit are:
- HVAC system lifespan. Retrofitting equipment in your system adds to the longevity of its lifespan. With newer equipment, the inefficiency of the older units is no longer stressing the rest of the system.
- Lower energy costs. When you upgrade your equipment, you’ll be choosing energy-efficient models. You’ll be saving in energy costs as a result. Also, as already pointed out above, your equipment may be eligible for rebates from your energy company.
- Planned financial and time investment. When you control the reins of timing, you’re saving money. You get to select when to invest the finances to purchase the equipment in a proactive move. In an emergency situation of failed equipment, you may be unprepared to spend what it takes to get things up and running. In addition, at that time you may need to replace your entire system instead of only pieces of it. Also, the costs involved of employee and/or production downtime in an emergency scenario can be very detrimental. You have no choice but to act immediately, which may not be the most advantageous for your business. Choosing to retrofit on your terms allows you to plan the timing, so it best suits your needs.
- Improved comfort. With newer equipment, your building will result in increased comfort. Your temperature control will be better and more consistent, or maybe it’s your airflow or humidity. Your employees will notice the difference.
- Needed flexibility. When businesses change, the building and its systems typically need to change with them. Sometimes the existing system isn’t fulfilling your business’s current needs. Retrofitting your equipment allows you to adapt to your business’s and/or infrastructure’s demands, offering you a solution without a tremendous financial investment.
Our AMS veteran retrofit team has over 40 years of experience with commercial retrofits, on all project-size scales. We work to develop long-term economical replacement plans that our clients can absorb incrementally, rather than costing substantial capital as a reaction to suddenly failed equipment. Contact our trusted team of professionals at 360-479-6500 to discuss how a retrofit can help your bottom line.
Air Management Solutions services Bainbridge Island, Bremerton, Federal Way, Fife, Gig Harbor, Puget Sound, Poulsbo, Port Orchard, Silverdale, Tacoma, and the surrounding Washington communities with their heating and cooling needs. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 360-479-6500, or request service online today.